We are known for traveling for 3 weeks or more and packing can be a nightmare for that length of time. So I've come up with some tips to help my packing go smoother and take up less room.
First thing you need to do is determine the weather as that will dictate your whole wardrobe. Next do you need dressy clothes? Any packing restrictions such as number of bags and weight?
I'll use our next vacation as an example: On a Cruise Ship for 26 days.
- Climate will be both hot and cool with the possibility of rain.
- Dressy evenings on board ship.
- Weight per bag restricted at 50 lbs per airline rules. Carry on limited to 1 bag.
Before packing anything be sure everything is clean and you have tried it on to be sure it still fits. The most frustrating thing you can do is get to a destination, put on a shirt and realize it shrunk or is now too little. If you have shrunk, no worries as you will probably gain weight on the trip with those midnight dessert buffets.
- Make a List - I would definitely think about making a list of all the things (toiletries, medications, electronics including chargers, sunglasses or reading glasses if you need them, vitamins or supplements, etc.) that you use on a daily basis that you will not want to forget.
- Get Bags Out one week prior to leaving. Do this just in case something is wrong with your bag from your previous trip that way you have time to get a new one.
- Lay out clothing and coordinate the pieces. The important thing for me is to be able to mix and match several pieces together and get more wear out of all the pieces. Being on a cruise ship there is laundry service and we do take advantage of that about halfway through the cruise as that cuts down on the amount of clothing needed.
- Use packing cubes or bags inside our suitcases. They seem to pack better and get less wrinkles that way. Also be sure to pack things inside your shoes like socks or underwear and then put shoes in a zip type bag to protect clothes.
- Put toiletries in Zip type baggies. You could even put plastic wrap around the tops of the bottles then screw on the lid for further protection.
- Check out Pinterest as there are a lot of great ideas for packing light and great tips to save space.
- Pack my essential oils. This is a great option for anyone as they can help with seasonal issues, digestive issues (yes for that midnight dessert buffet), rough sea stomach, skin irritations, or anything else that may come up when I can't get to a doctor right away. After several trips and taking all kinds of oils with me, I have narrowed it down to about 12 that I always take and use. I also always take some little sample bottles just in case I meet someone that is having an issue and wants to try an oil vs. searching out the ship doctor or trying to find a pharmacy in another country.
My favorite oils to take with me are Peppermint, Lemon, Lavender, Melaleuca, Oregano, Frankincense, Immunity Blend, Respiratory Blend, Digestive Blend and a Soothing Blend. The other oils I take is a Women's monthly blend and a Tension blend.
Where ever you decide to travel and whatever you plan to pack this Summer season, I hope you have safe travels. Now I think it's time to get my bags out and organize for my own vacation.